10.12.2011

Ginger Peach Cobbler

*Was I so consumed with watching the original (and how much do I hate that I have to say “the original” now) Footloose on Sunday night that I forgot to post? Yes, that happened.


So it’s obviously fall, but I had to get this last summery recipe in. And thank goodness, because it’s just… well… let’s just say that this is the only thing that I have eaten today and it has now gone to a better place. Well, mostly better. Not gonna lie, some of it ended up on the bottom of my oven because even though I’ve been baking for a few years now, I haven’t quite grasped the concept that I can’t WISH a dish not to overflow its container when I so clearly have filled that container with way too much batter.

Another recipe out of the Homesick Texan cookbook, this is super easy to make and I look forward to substituting other seasonal fruit in place of the peaches. And I look forward to getting more use out of my cast-iron skillets. When I made it, I halved the recipe (when I probably should have cut it in thirds), but since that got a little messy, here is the full version.

Ginger Peach Cobbler
Slightly adapted from The Homesick Texan Cookbook

1 stick of butter, melted
1 cup flour
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup milk
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups peaches, pitted, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger

Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, milk, baking powder, fresh ginger, and vanilla. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, toss the peaches with the cinnamon and ground ginger.

Pour the melted butter into a large cast-iron skillet (or a 9x9 square baking dish), then pour the batter on top of the butter, then place the peaches on top of the batter. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment